Definitive: A Year in the Nebula – Summer
Liner Notes.All Songs Written and Performed by: Tone Dogg Raw & Cal-S-thetics
Additional Song Writing on “BBQs & Bonfires” by: D. Ceja & R. Diaz
Mixed and Mastered by: EQ – Out the Ashtray of LA
Executive Production: Tone Dogg Raw & Cal-S-thetics for Doggma Uno
Associate Exectuvie Production: EQ – Out the Ashtray of LA
Album Art Direction: Cal-S-thetics for Glass Bottom Boat Productions
Front Cover Art: Zachary “Speczacular” Friedberg
Back Cover Art: Zachary “Speczacular” Friedberg
Photography: Enkrypt Los Angeles
Additional Photography: Zach Friedberg
- The Vibe – Produced by the Jeepz
- Going Ons – Additional Vocals by: Porcelain – Produced by Rokem
- BBQs & Bonfires – Feat. Anita Blunt & Dy Cy – Produced by Duke Westlake
- Sorbet – Produced by Sumthin Gunny
- Suspicions – Feat. Illa J – Additional Vocals by: Gray Dei – Produced by Dellue; Intro Produced by Glass Bottom Boat
- Splash (Intermission) – Produced by Cal-S-thetics for Glass Bottom Boat Productions
- Drifted on a Memory – Feat. Kozme – Produced by EQ – Out the Ashtray of LA
- Miles 9 – Feat. MP & Dellue – Produced by Duke Westlake
- Brain Dance II – Feat. Dave Allen – Produced by Sumthin Gunny
- King of the Ave. – Produced by EQ – Out the Ashtray of LA
- Yes Yes Y’all (Nuff Said Remix) – Produced by Cal-S-thetics
- Momentous (Supernova Remix) – Feat. Danielle Henderson & Calvin Valentine – Produced by Calvin Valentine
Volume two of the Glass Bottom Boat’s Definitive project. Exploring themes of enjoyment, relaxation, flourishing and confidence.
Another full length LP that continues the Definitive journey. Based around the co-written and ever-smooth rhymes of Cal-S-thetics & Tone Dogg Raw, “the Summer album” is both an ode to the leisure and levity of the season it draws its name from and an aggressive step into a songwriting direction that the Glass Bottom Boat duo had always imagined taking. The album features beats from some now-familiar production collaborators like Duke Westlake, EQ, Jeepz, Rokem, Sumthin Gunny, and Cal-S-thetics, while also drawing some classically smooth sounds from the risingly influential Calvin Valentine and introducing the close associate and infamously underrated Dellue the Supa Dread. Additionally, this album differs from previous releases from the duo by leveraging the talents of featured artists like Anita Blunt, Dy Cy, Illa J, MP of Rebels to the Grain, Dellue, Danielle Henderson, and Calvin Valentine to compliment their expertise in writing.
While the album does not necessarily showcase depth, it does delve much more into vibes and flow with the sung hooks and lighter song themes. For instance, the aptly titled, “BBQs & Bonfires” is a song documenting a summer day of fun by Tone and Cal tied neatly around. Additionally, “Kings on the Ave” and “Drifted on a Memory” further explore enjoying the fruits of ones labor rather with flows that playfully explore fun rather than consequences; living in the “Momentous” moments for sure. “What makes this album different from others was that we stepped away from the idea of being intentional with the tracks and themes and really went with what felt right in the present whether that was taking lyrics from old songs and just running with them or writing songs about rolling in the whip it was all about just letting loose and having fun,” recalled Cal-S-thetics. The album is only the second installment of “A Year in the Nebula,” which just dropped back in May, but in many ways will feel a world apart given the attitude this album comes with.
Summer out here in Southern California is known for its great weather and bronzed beach bods, if this album doesn’t take you there in the dead of winter you might not be listening right! The time is now when you are living in the moment and this project lays on the beach of life instead of digging into the sand. Grill something, toast something, smoke something and post up with your crew and let the good vibes flow with this one.